Model Advice

Modeling Advice

I was looking at some old headshots and comp cards. My friend Ricco Daniels and I had a very interesting conversation yesterday and he asked me "how does an inexperienced model begin making money?"  I said that the answer really is you can't. You have to invest in the career. Without education or experience, you really aren't going anywhere maybe a few amateur contests and men's magazines but you won't make money. Or go to the next level. So we talk about a few other subjects one being TFPs and the second being comp-cards... who knows what their comp card is!?

Comp cards became a subject while he was giving me an example of ads he runs across, something like "beginning model $50 shoot trying to build portfolio"
Now professionals are giggling... 

First, you need to invest in a great comp card and headshots; you need to know about lighting, posing, etc...

Then you build your portfolio! BUT!!! You build it with jobs that you have been chosen by a director, agency or any other professional in this industry that hired you for non-paid or paid positions for whatever they hire you to do, or if you have been honored with by a photographer who does TFP with you.

You don't get paid to build your portfolio, in fact, you invest in it but more importantly, you need the first step: A comp card (Invest in a good comp card) and good photos for your card. Those are the key to getting your portfolio seen and asked for in an interview/audition.

A photographer is not responsible for building your portfolio or resume because they are wasting just as much time and energy from their professional craft.  The photographer skill is no less important than you trying to build your brand as a model; you must understand as a model that it's an honor to be picked by a great photographer for a TFP. In the beginning I pay, and then I began to get TFP, and finally moved up to paid shoots. But, I have experience education references and invested in this as a career so he thought that by me offering him a little advice and hearing it from girls who have climbed the ladder, and still are growing in the model industry. Also, girls who have achieved success could give him a few pointers in the industry because it’s not fair sometimes and it does require investment, advertising, classes, and yes, paying for your own photos!

You may be the most beautiful woman in the room but if you don't know what model stance 1 is. You're already off of the list and if you go to a casting call without a comp card you may not be able to get in, it’s just like you’re trying to get into the club without any identification. Modeling is an art, a skill, and a talent, so is photography they go hand to hand. You two have to work together to make a beautiful picture. Now if a photographer does not charge you for any photo shoots and chooses you to offer their work for free you should feel honored. You must keep in mind doing a lot of photo shoots does not guaranty you a paid model gig or consider you to be an educated experience trained model.

After, thinking my answer is that the only way I can see an inexperienced and uneducated "model" making money would be by investing in an excellent photographer to help you build a beautiful comp card. Ace your audition and live every model's dream of being "discovered"...

I personally think one should go to school practice and be dedicated. I don't like the "I think I'll be a model today" type thinking they are going to make a lot of money without investing in the career. I love the art and beauty of modeling and fashion but I'd never turn down good advice and would help anyone with as much as I understand... bias free.

My friend Ricco Daniels of Artsy.Photos LLC knows more than photography, he knows what industry professionals are looking for and can help you with an excellent Comp card building service or if you have an amazing concept shoot they are amazing at turning that fantasy into reality and captured in time.

When investing in my future and my business while in Ohio, Artsy.Photos LLC is one of my favorite photographers to work with. They are interested in learning about what a model really needs to maximize their investment. Idk what do you guys think? or
What do you think about having a good comp card?



I encourage all models to try to open up their eyes and see the difference between people who love the art or just the money and notoriety. Along with helping young models realize that it's not easy it’s a career, just like everyone else, it's a job.

Comments